Looking for a unique homemade gift idea for your Valentine? How about for your child’s Valentine’s Day school party? Fortune cookies are easy and fun to make and you can get the kids in on the fun. Personalize them with romantic or fun messages and you’ll have a tastier, new, homemade take on the old heart-shaped candy standard. Plus, fortune cookies are kind of heart-shaped!
3 tablespoons butter, softened
3 tablespoons sugar
1 egg white
1/2 teaspoon vanilla or almond extract
1/3 cup unbleached all purpose flour
- Write fortunes on 3 1/2 x 1/4″ strips of paper; set aside.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Draw two 3 1/2″ circles on paper; set aside.
- In a small bowl, beat the butter, sugar, egg white and vanilla. Add flour; mix well. Spread 1 tablespoon batter over each circle. Bake at 400 degrees for 4-5 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Slide parchment paper onto a work surface. Cover one cookie with a kitchen towel. Place a fortune in the center of the other cookie; loosen cookie from parchment paper with a thin spatula. Fold cookie in half over fortune strip so the edges meet; hold edges together for 3 seconds.
- Place center of cookie over the rim of a glass; gently press ends down to bend cookie in middle. Cool for 1 minute before removing to a wire rack. Repeat with second cookie. If cookies become too cool to fold, return to oven to soften for 1 minute. Repeat with remaining batter and fortunes.
Yields 10 cookies.
Recipe courtesy of Taste of Home